Saturday, February 12, 2011

POEMS FROM A MIGRANT’S DIARY – Qui étés-vous?

This poem is written in French and in English. It is dedicated to young migrants who are forced to take up new ways and form new identities in order to keep from antagonizing their host communities. They struggle daily to make sense of the socio-cultural pressures that engulf them in their new found homes.

(Ce poème est d’un garçon qui s’appelle Mohamed. Il immigre en autre pays avec ses parents. Il vient de Djibouti.)

Qui étés-vous?
by Mary-Sanyu Osire

Je ne sais pas.

À Djibouti, je m’appelle Mohamed.
Ici, je m’appelle Moses.

À Djibouti, je vais à la mosquée.
Ici, je vais à l’église.

À Djibouti, j’ai beaucoup d’amis.
Ici, je n’ai d’amis.

Qui je suis?
Moi, je ne sais pas.
Quand vous me regardez,
Que regardez-vous ?

------------------------------

(This poem is about a boy called Mohamed. He migrated to another country with his parents. He is from Djibouti.)

Who are you?
by Mary-Sanyu Osire

I do not know.

In Djibouti, I am called Mohamed.
Here, I am called Moses.

In Djibouti, I go the mosque.
Here, I go to the church.

In Djibouti, I have many friends.
Here, I have no friends.

Who am I?
I do not know.
When you look at me,
Who do you see?

------------------------------

The author is a humanitarian analyst and she writes on migration. Email her on: msanyu@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment